In total, around 6,602 researchers from more than 70 countries are receiving the "Highly Cited Researcher" rating from "Web of Science" this year. Their names are taken from the publications that belong to the top 1 percent, according to citations per research field and year of publication in the Web of Science citation index. In 2020, Germany ranks fifth worldwide with a total of 331 researchers listed, behind the United States, China, the United Kingdom and Australia, which narrowly passed Germany (332 researchers). From HHU, these include:
- the neuroscientist Prof. Dr. Simon Eickhoff, head of the Institute for Systemic Neuroscience; HHU and director of the Institute "Brain and Behaviour", Research Center Jülich,
- the plant scientist and Alexander von Humboldt Professor Dr. Wolf B. Frommer, Head of the Institute of Molecular Physiology and member of the Cluster of Excellence CEPLAS;
- the neurologist Prof. Dr. Hans-Peter Hartung, former director of the Department of Neurology,
- the neuropathologist Prof. Dr. Guido Reifenberger, head of the Institute of Neuropathology, and
- biology Prof. Dr. Björn Usadel, Institute for Biological Data Science
More than 6,600 researchers in 21 fields of the natural and social sciences, as well as in cross-domain categories, were selected based on the number of highly cited publications they published over an 11-year period from January 2010 to December 2020. Since 2014, "Web of Science" has published the list of most cited researchers annually.
About the methodology: Web of Science Group